Definition of cyst in the breast
breast cysts are sacs full of liquid, usually benign. You can form one or more breast cysts are often described with a round shape or lumps, oval, with edges that are distinct. On palpation can be felt as a grape or as a balloon full of water, other times they may have a rigid structure.
Normally the cyst in the breast should not be subjected to a treatment unless its size or the pain ought to discomfort in the woman. In these cases, the emptying of the cysts può be useful.
breast cysts are quite common in women with an età between 35 and 50 years old, that is; before it is menopause, however, may be formed at each età. Normally tend to disappear with menopause in women who are not taking the hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Symptoms of breast cysts
The symptoms of breast cysts include:
- A smooth shape, a round that canò move, or a lump in the breast, oval in shape, with edges that are distinct (which is usually, though not always, indicates that it is benign);
- usually form in only one breast, but not è excluded that may affect both breasts at the same time;
- Pain and the perception of softness in the area concerned by the lump;
- In close proximityà of the cycle the size of the nodule increases, and the affected area appears to be più soft;
- After the loop the size of the lump decrease, and attenuate the other symptoms.
The simple cysts do not increase the risk of breast cancer. However, the presence of one or more breast cysts può make più complicated the detection of any new lumps or abnormal changes. the For this &it is important that each woman acquires familiarà with her breasts, in order to understand when something is changed.
In healthy women a tissue of a normal breast is felt often as a lumpy or nodular. When by palpation si feel new nodules that do not disappear after menstruation, or one of the nodules of the già present and estimated above, increases the volume, it is good to be see by the doctor.
Causes of breast cysts
On the causes of breast cysts, there are still certainties. There are data that suggest that the excess estrogen may have an action on the breast tissue, doing così a role in the formation of cysts.
The breast contains lobes of glandular tissue. The lobes are further divided into lobules smaller, which ensure the production of milk during lactation. Through small ducts (the ducts) the milk gets to the nipple. The supporting tissue that gives the breast its shape is made by adipose tissue and fibrous connective tissue. Breast cysts form in the presence of an abnormal growth of glands and connective tissue that causes the obstruction of the milk ducts. Occurs così their dilatation and the consequent formation of cysts that fill with fluid.
- microcisti are too small to be felt, to be able to locate &it is necessary to use imaging tests, such as mammography or ultrasound.
- macrocisti are instead the più large and can be up to about 5 inches in diameter, then you can also locate by palpation. Cysts of large size can cause discomfort or pain because of the pressure exerted on the breast tissue of the affected area.
The diagnosis of breast cysts
it is important that all women perform regular true once a month between the seventh and the fourteenth day of the cycle.
If you feel a breast lump, you can resort to your doctor to make a diagnosis ricorrerà, depending on the circumstances, the breast examination, an ultrasound scan or a fine needle aspiration. Before proceeding with the diagnostic procedures the doctor will occuperà dell’history, cioè colleà all the information regarding your medical history, but also your family, which will be used to make the final diagnosis.
The visit to the breast is performed by a qualified doctor, does not require special tools, is simple and painless. The examination begins with observation and ending with palpation.
This type of examination may not be sufficient to formulate an accurate diagnosis, but può be of usefulness; to shed light on situations a little suspicious.
The breast ultrasound can help the doctor to determine if a nodule that contains fluid or is solid. The presence of fluid usually indicates a cyst in the breast. A solid mass may indicate the presence of a lump is not cancerous, for example a fibroadenoma. However, a solid mass may also be a breast cancer.
If on palpation the specialist can clearly feel a lump, you may deem unnecessary ultrasound and then a fine needle aspiration.
The needle you are running by inserting a thin needle into the breast lump. Once you have reached the affected area, it proceeds with the aspiration of the fluid. To obtain a greater precision in the insertion of the needle can be used of ultrasound to guide the placement.
- If the breast lump disappears after eliminating the liquid (without the presence of blood), the doctor può to proceed to the diagnosis of breast cysts without further examination.
- If the liquid appears to be streaked with blood or the breast lump doesn’t disappear, your doctor may send a sample of fluid taken for laboratory testing.
- If it is not aspirated any liquid, in order to assess the lump will be probably necessary to use imaging tests, such as mammography or ultrasound. The lack of fluid or a lump that does not go away after aspiration may detect that the nodule, or a portion thereof, is solid. In this case, it collects a sample of cells (needle biopsy) to be used to verify the presence of cancer.
In the presence of simple cysts in the breast, only full of liquid, it is not necessary to no treatment. Women who are not in menopause can also monitor the progress to see if the cyst disappears by itself.
In the case of the cyst liquid, the fine può be used for lead to the disappearance of the nodule in resolving the symptoms. it is the same procedure used for making the diagnosis, and when the cyst is emptied completely of the fluid which fills you get the benefits.
depending On the circumstances, you may need to use più sometimes this drainage procedure. In any case, if the cyst persists for two or three menstrual cycles, or increase of volume, &it is; well go to the doctor.
The pill (oral contraceptives) used to regulate the menstrual cycles can help to reduce the recurrence of breast cysts. However, for the potential side effects of the contraceptive pill or the hormonal therapy of another type such as the tamoxifen, they are usually only recommended in women who have symptoms important, unless there is also a needà contraceptive for the contraceptive pill. The interruption of the hormone replacement therapy during the years post-menopause può reduce the formation of cysts as well.
Only in exceptional cases, the surgical removal of a cyst in the breast is taken into consideration. These are situations in which the cyst recurs month after month, or if it contains fluid blood streaked or present any other peculiarityà concern.
To reduce to the minimum the discomfort caused by a cyst in the breast, you can try these remedies:
- Bra. If the cyst causes pain or discomfort, a good support to the breast tissue surrounding può help to relieve any discomfort.
- The caffeine. There are no scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between the consumption of caffeine and breast cysts. However, some women find relief from their symptoms after eliminating caffeine from their diet. You can; try, therefore, to eliminate or reduce the consumption of this substance to see if the symptoms improve.
- salt. So far there are no conclusive data on the use of the salt and the formation of breast cysts, however, some specialists recommend to reduce the amount; of salt in the diet. A lower consumption of sodium lowers the amount; of fluid retained by the body and this, according to experts, può to reduce the symptoms associated with a cyst full of liquid.
- pain relief Medications. Some types of breast pain can be alleviated with the use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB) and naproxen ( Aleve, Naprosyn). But be careful-always consult with your doctor first.
breast Cancer, the new technique, non-surgical destroys him with ultrasounds
physical Exercise for breast cancer
Care and treatment of lymphedema in women with breast cancer
June 8, 2015