Definition of fibroadenoma in the breast
The fibroadenoma is a training benign breast that occurs more often in girls and female adolescents of age less than 30 years.
In general, it has a round shape and well defined, like a ball, compact, smooth, rubbery or hard. When is touched, it moves easily under the skin. Normally it is painless, however, a fibroadenoma may be warned with a foreign body sensation and hard in the breast.
The import is divided into two types:
Normally presents no particular problems, the dimensions and shape remain unchanged and, with time, può to reduce the volume.
it is a benign tumor that può contain cysts abnormal or dense, or calcifications. The diagnosis is performed with a biopsy of the tissue.
In summary, the characteristics of fibroadenoma of the breast may be così follows:
- In general, is painless;
- The form with which he is warned, is like a ball or a lump from the smooth surface;
- The contours are regular and well defined;
- Vary in size, può you get to have a diameter of 6-8 cm.
the size of The fibroadenoma will vary and can be reduced spontaneously. Once identified, the fibroadenoma must be monitored to check for any changes in size or a feeling.
In healthy women, normal breast tissue is often of consistency irregular. With the true, when the woman feels a new lump or a change of the breast, you should consult your doctor. The latter valueà the opportunityà to proceed to the testing and treatment that may go from a biopsy to evaluate the nodule, up to surgical removal of the fibroadenoma.
The import, in general, do not affect the risk of breast cancer. Only in the presence of a fibroadenoma complex the risk may slightly increase.
Cause del fibroadenoma al seno
On the causes, there is still scientific certainty. However, it is thought that the development of a fibroadenoma can be put in relation to the reproductive hormones. Are in fact the most popular among young women, the fibroadenoma può increase of volume in the course of a pregnancy. Può become the più great even when we assume the hormone replacement therapy, while può decrease volume after the menopause, when the hormone levels decrease.
To perform the diagnosis, the doctor partirà from a visit to the breast of both breasts to evaluate the characteristics of the nodule. On the basis of this last willà to suggest the following additional tests:
- the Mammograms. With this examination, a fibroadenoma usually appears as a mass with rounded edges, smooth, well distinguished from the surrounding breast tissue.
- the Ultrasound. If the woman is under 30 years of age, to evaluate a breast lump, the doctor may; recommend an ultrasound instead of a mammogram. The densityà of the breast tissue of young women may make reading mammograms more difficult to interpret. In women who have spent the past 30 years, è likely that the doctor makes use of the examination or mammography, or ultrasound.
- the fine Needle aspiration. You are running with a thin needle which when inserted in the breast and allows the physician to aspirate the contents of the nodule. If what comes out is a liquid, it’s probably a cyst.
- the Needle. You use a needle più of a fine needle aspiration, the sample is subsequently analyzed in the laboratory.
- the surgical Biopsy. Involves the removal of part of the nodule, or performing a partial removal in the operating room, and you wait now, the indication to surgery on the part of the laboratory.
In many cases, there is no need to treat the fibroadenoma. However, some times the woman chooses to remove them surgically not having concerns.
non surgical Treatment
After the appropriate investigations if the diagnosis is of fibroadenoma simple, you may not need surgery. The reasons that may lead to not intervene may be the following:
- surgical Risk (even if minimal is always present in every type of intervention)
- surgery may change the shape and consistency of the breast
- import simple can be reduced or disappear spontaneously
- by Comparing the last test with the previous, the fibroadenoma appears unchanged in size, shape and consistency.
If you decide not to surgically intervene, it is important to monitor the fibroadenoma with the help of the doctor. In case the nodule is changed, or, more simply, if the woman is worried, you canò re-consider the chanceà of the surgical removal.
The procedures for surgical removal of a fibroadenoma include:
- the Lumpectomy or excisional biopsy. It is a procedure in which the surgeon removes the breast tissue and sends it to the laboratory to verify the presence of cancer. It is performed when you do not è able to establish with certainty the benignità of the nodule. It is an incision on the affected area, the size of which depends on the size of the fibroadenoma.
- the Cryoablation. It is an alternative to excisional biopsy. You use a probe (a device similar to a thin wand with needles, through which pass the gases) with which the fabrics suspicions are frozen, to be thawed gradually. In this way, the cells object of the treatment, they die. The procedure, which is done under local anesthesia, is indicated for fibroids of large size. This technique will not determine the benign or malignant nature of the mass treated, so it is recommended only if the diagnosis of fibroadenoma is certain.
After the surgical removal of a fibroadenoma, it is possible that if they develop of others. In any case, the lumps in the breast should always be evaluated and monitored.
breast cancer Prevention: how to reduce risk
13 settembre 2015