Water retention symptoms
For water retention refers to the tendency to retain fluids in the body. It is a disorder frequently affecting especially women, it is estimated that about 30% of italians are affected.
The liquids tend to accumulate in the interstitial spaces (that is; between cells) causing a swelling abnormal usually localized in specific parts of the body like the ankles, the thighs, the abdomen or the buttocks.
water retention is a classic symptom of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
water retention premenstrual because swelling a feeling of heavy one or two weeks before the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
In the majority of cases is a problem for a few days a month and provides only a discomfort, but in other può be severe enough to interfere with activitiesà everyday.
On the causes, there are no certainties, however, the hormonal changes could play a role. Also theinheritance could be a factor, as apower lacks some of the vitamins or with an excess of salt.
Water retention remedies
If there are specific pathologies at the base of the water retention, usually the source of the disorder lies in the style of life. In this case, correct the cause of può help eliminate or reduce water retention. Here are some tips:
- the Activitiesà physics. This is the remedy più important. Women who engage in regular activity; physical, in general report fewer symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. It is not necessary to engage in exercises exhausting, a simple stroll può be of help. Avoid those activitiesà, which provide a microtrauma to the ligaments and joints, such as running, aerobics, or spinning.
- the salt. Reduce the amount; of salt in the diet can help to prevent the disorder. Avoid or limit eating processed foods. Do not add salt to food at the table or during cooking. Also pay attention to hidden sources of sodium, such as soy sauce, canned vegetables, soups and meats.
- the healthy Diet. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
in Addition, all of the habits that we know very well – can cause damage to your health are risk factors. We are referring to:
- Be overweight
- alcohol excess
- Eat often salty foods
- Wear skin-tight clothes or shoes with high heels
If you remain standing too long without walking, one of the remedies is to rise up on the tips of the feet (doing on and giù from time to time). This activityà stimulates the venous return.
another remedy is to sleep with legs slightly raised.
If the change of the life style has not produced the expected benefits, to combat fluid retention premenstrual può resort to the use of certain drugs. It is always necessary to consult your doctor – depending on the severityà of the disorder or in the presence of other factors, such as the desire of a pregnancy – willà to prescribe:
- Diuretics. These medicines are prescribed by the doctor becauseé are able to help reduce the accumulation of fluid. However, diuretics have some side effects, which is why it is a little justified that they are used to treat water retention. Among other things, it is necessary to know that the simultaneous intake of ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, diuretics, può to cause damage to the kidneys.
- the Pill. Some research suggests that oral contraceptives – which prevent ovulation, can help reduce the physical symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (pms).
In the market there are many products that contain vitamins, minerals and herbs sold as a cure for the symptoms of PMS. However, at the moment, only a few have proven to be effective.
According to some researches may be useful:
- B Vitamins, such as thiamine and riboflavin
- Vitamin E
Caution: before taking nutritional supplements or herbal remedies to consult a doctor. Some products, if taken in quantity; excessive and with other drugs, can be harmful. By way of example only, the excess of vitamin E in women with diabetes or heart disease can create health problems.
If the trouble persists or is particularly troublesome, it is best to consult your doctor so as to see if the problem is due to the menstrual cycle or instead, as in the case of abdominal swelling, in the case of a number of different causes (syndrome of colon irritable or other gastrointestinal problems)
Dysmenorrhoea, menstrual pain: causes, treatments, medications and remedies
Menorrhagia: symptoms, causes, diagnosis, and treatment
4 October 2014