During pregnancy there are several factors that can cause swelling in your feet and ankles. The body in general retains more liquids and also the uterus increased in volume causes pressure on the veins, this può make it difficult to return blood to the heart.
This condition può bring the swelling in the legs, ankles and feet. Also the hormonal changes can play an important role.
The swelling to the feet and ankles during pregnancy is rather common and usually goes away after the birth. To alleviate or at least reduce this disorder, during pregnancy could be useful:
- is Not stand. Avoid to remain standing for long periods of time. When you can, sit down by lifting your feet up and occasionally rotate the feet and ankles. A better solution is to lie down with the legs elevated.
- the Sleeping on your side. If you can, stand on its left side. This reduces the pressure of the inferior vena cava, the large vein that returns blood from the metà the lower body to the heart. It is also helpful to elevate your legs slightly with pillows.
- the Wear socks like the ones. Your doctor may recommend that you wear tights or stockings support during the day.
- the Include from the activity; daily physical. Go for walks every day, do the bike or swim in a pool.
- the Walking in the pool. Even if we still know little about the effects exercised by the pressure of the water on the feet and swollen ankles, walking in a pool seems to help compress tissues in the legs and might provide temporary relief from swelling during pregnancy.
- the cold Packs. It may be helpful to apply compresses of cold water on areas of swelling.
Some research suggests that the foot massage could help to reduce the swelling in your feet and ankles during pregnancy. Also, the swelling does not mean that you should drink less. Experts recommend about 2.3 liters of fluids per day during pregnancy.
Although the swelling in your feet and ankles is normal during the gestation period, a swelling in the sudden and painful, especially if it is only in one leg, it could be a symptom of a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis).
A sudden increase of the swelling may also mean that the blood pressure is higher than normal, thereò could be a signal of preeclampsia. Both conditions require evaluation and treatment in a timely manner.
Pregnancy low risk: the information contained in the video, così as the text of the song correspond to, and reflect recommendations taken from the guidelines of the schools of the Sanità international.
The small problems in pregnancy Information, prevention and care
exercise in Pregnancy
physical Exercise in pregnancy: what to suggest to pregnant women?
varicose Veins: symptoms, remedies and prevention
vegan diets and vegetarian diets, are safe during pregnancy?
stretch marks: how to vanish, causes, remedies and prevention
may 24, 2015