All mothers want the best for their child, therefore, becomes important to understand what are the foods to avoid during pregnancy and learn how to make choices. The following are simple tips to follow during pregnancy period.
Fish with high mercury content
fish is an important source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, substances present in many fishes that enhance the development of the brain and eyes of your child.
However, some fish and shellfish contain potentially dangerous levels of mercury, a metal and può damage to the nervous system in the development of your child.
The general rule is; that più great is the fish, and the greater is the amount; of mercury present. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suggest to pregnant women to avoid:
- Tilefish and shark (a little consumed in Italy)
Then what is safe? Some types of seafood contain little mercury. The u.s. guidelines recommend 220 to 340 grams of seafood a week for pregnant women.
- Pollock (Alaska pollack)
The recommendations are those of the limit white tuna and tuna steak to 170 grams a week. In addition, it is important to know that if the tuna is on average considered to be safe, some tests have shown that the levels of mercury, however, can vary.
For the sake of completeness of the information is correct to point out that not all experts agree with the limits suggested by the guidelines approved by the FDA. According to the results of a search, no adverse effects were observed in women who ate more fish than suggested.
raw Fish, a little under-cooked or seafood contaminated
in order To avoid harmful bacteria or viruses in seafood:
- is Not eat raw fish and shellfish. Avoid, for example, sushi, sashimi, oysters, scallops and clams.
- the Avoid fish kept refrigerated, raw seafood. For example, smoked salmon, smoked meats and fish, herrings, kippered (Kippering is a special technique of preservation). Okay to eat smoked fish if it is a food you just cooked.
- the Eat fish, well-cooked. Fish is cooked to an internal temperature of 63 degrees. Cook shrimp, lobster and scallops until they are milky white. Cook clams, mussels, and oysters until the shells are opened by removing those which remain closed.
Cooking meat, poultry and eggs
During pregnancy, there is a greater risk of bacterial food poisoning. A pregnant woman may have consequences più series, even if rarely, food poisoning affects the fetus.
For the prevention of foodborne disease:
- the Cook completely. It is important to complete the cooking of all meat before eating. For greater security, you canò use a thermometer to measure the internal temperature.
- the Hot dog and meat. Must be well cooked, smoke. Otherwise avoid them, can be the source of a rare but potentially serious food-borne disease known as listeriosis (an infectious disease, transmitted usually with food, that manifests itself sporadically in the blown form).
- the Avoid the paté meat refrigerated. Canned long shelf-life, can go well.
- the Egg. Must be well cooked, the yolks and the whites should be firm and not liquid. Raw eggs can be contaminated with harmful bacteria. It is recommended not to eat foods based on raw eggs or partially cooked, such as eggnog, batter, raw, and homemade sauces.
Avoid foods unpasteurized
dairy products are characterized by a low content of fats are good, such as skimmed milk, mozzarella and ricotta cheese. However, foods that contain milk that is not pasteurized should be avoided. Are in fact potentially dangerous for diseases that are transmitted in food. If you are not sure that what you are eating is a product is pasteurized or that contains pasteurized milk, not to eat. This is true not only for cheese but also for fruit juices.
raw Fruit and vegetables
do Not eat if you are not sure that they have been washed properly. Harmful bacteria must be removed carefully from the fruits and vegetables that are raw. Avoid raw sprouts of any kind, including alfalfa, clover, radish and mung beans. May contain bacteria that can cause disease. Be sure to cook it properly the shoots.
Caffeina in eccesso
Moderate caffeine consumption. The current research does not offer certainties, and require investigation, however, the caffeine may cross the placenta and affect the heart rate of the child. In addition, some studies suggest that excessive consumption of caffeine in pregnancy may increase the risk of spontaneous abortion.
The experts from the united states recommended to consume less than 200 mg / day of caffeine during pregnancy. In order to have a measurement parameter, for example, a caffè american contains about 95 mg of caffeine, a cup of espresso: 80 mg, a cup of tè ne contains an average of about 47 mg (but varies depending on the t&is;), a drink (cola) of about 33 milligrams.
few data Exist on the specific effects of herbs in pregnancy. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid drinking of the herbal tea. If you want to do it, ask your doctor what you can consume.
should Be avoided in pregnancy. There are no research that have found what level of alcohol is safe during the period of gestation. Better not to gamble and not to drink.
The risk must be taken into consideration. Mothers who drink alcohol have a higher risk of miscarriage and stillbirth.
The excess alcohol in pregnancy can; cause the fetal alcohol syndrome può providing deformità facial, heart defects, and mental retardation. Even a little alcohol può influence on the brain development of the child.
If you are worried about the alcohol you drank before knowing you are pregnant, or think you need help to stop drinking, consult your doctor.
Pregnancy low risk: the information contained in the video, così as the text of the song correspond to, and reflect recommendations taken from the guidelines of the schools of the Sanità international.
All about pregnancy
Nutrition in pregnancy
Multivitamins in pregnancy: is often an unnecessary expense
Cholesterol: causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment
Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: drugs
– Caffeine: men trying to conceive should reduce the consumption of
may 27, 2015